Monday, February 27, 2012

Still Learning

It's an amazing thing to step back and see how far you've come.  Even in a matter of a few months.  I look back and see where I was at the beginning of this school year and it's incredible how far I've come.  Everyday I'm learning something new and even since this semester started I've had a tremendous growth spiritually and emotionally.  Something that really struck home with me over the past couple weeks is God's love.  We say that so often.  We talk about it in Church and Sunday School, and we sing about it in almost all of our worship songs; but do we get it?  I can say for myself that it took me 18 years of my life to really understand God's love for and even now I don't fully understand it.  I don't think any of us ever could, because most of us love with a selfish kind of love.  It's a love that is only strong if it's reciprocated.  A love of ultimatums and absolutes.  That is human love.  God's love is endless.
This is Love in it's purest form

His love was the cross.  It's something we often forget.  Not necessarily forget in the way that the information is lost but we dismiss the emotion to numbness.  We consign ourselves to the desensitization of our culture and lift our hands to a God that we've created to be ordinary.  Why?  I think sometimes it's easier to live our lives without contrition towards our sin.  If we dumb down the message of the cross so that we don't see the suffering that occurred then we don't have to see the depravity in ourselves.  God is love and He called us to love others. He demands a certain standard be upheld in our Christian walk and with this standard comes a responsibility that sets us apart.  I would challenge anyone who doesn't truly know God's amazing love to seek that encounter for yourself and to grab hold of it as truth.  An immeasurable truth that will never fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment