Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Where Grace Is Given

Leadership, as I'm learning, is tough.  I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but when you're actually in the midst of it, it's quite a hill to climb.  I've observed much since beginning the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership and my eyes are being opened to how the different laws are either in effect or not throughout my surroundings.  Living in a community of people, I'm having to learn quick how best to apply each law and in which situation to use what.  At times this thought process can be overwhelming but it gets easier through trial and error.  That's really what this year is all about for me and the rest of the leadership students.  We have to learn by doing...we can't just sit by and learn the book material, we have to apply it.  Of course, that's harder said than done in an atmosphere of transition and change.  What makes it equally as hard is that in our first year we have been learning to lead all girls.  This would be much easier if we had at least one girl leadership student on our team, but we don't.  From the beginning of time, men haven't been able to fully understand women and this situation is no exception.

The law I want to briefly talk about however is the Law of Buy-In.  This says that, "People Buy Into The Leader, Then The Vision."  You can't get people to believe in your vision unless they believe in you.  The key is getting them to believe in you.  How do you do this?  By applying all of the other laws learned in the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership.  You have to be a leader worth following in other eyes in order for them to buy-in to your vision.  I know, that for me, this is a law that I have applied already, not as a leader.  I bought in to the vision of our new director.  While others haven't, I believe in what he can do and where he wants to take Mission Baltimore.  Anytime you have a transition of leadership things are going to start out tough and that is something that needs to be full understood in order for grace to be given.  While I have bought into our director...I can only hope that others are buying in to me.  If not...something will have to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment