Tuesday, February 26, 2013

You Got Growin' Up To Do

Sometimes the best way to help people is to do nothing at all.  Pray for them and accept them and be there for them when they need you, but pull away.  I'm learning, onerously, the value of knowing when to push and when to let go.  Now's a time to let go.  There are times when people have to learn to help themselves and to fly on their own, no matter how much I want to interfere and help.  They'll never learn if I'm always handicapping them by intervening and not letting them grow.  Of course, it takes quite a bit of prayer on my part because I'm simply a compassionate person who doesn't like to watch people (especially my friends) hurting, but I just need to learn to wait it out and see how they grow from their experience.  A friendship can grow tremendously as two people grow individually.  We have an obligation to be the best we can be, not just for ourselves or for God, but for those around us as well.  Our shortcomings effect more than just our own life.

So, in those moments when you feel like you need to push or you need to interfere with your closest friend or the one you love, step back and check your timing.  Maybe what they need is to grow up a little on their own before your friendship can mature.  True love for another is when you can come to the point where you can give them what they need despite how it makes you feel.



                                 "So the best thing I can give to you
Is for me to go
Leave you alone
Cause you got growing up to do"


No comments:

Post a Comment